.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Doctor English
Your ESL and English language learning specialist. Ask Dr. English whatever you like about the English language.

Thursday, July 14, 2005


One of the challenges of learning English is that the language changes depending on the English-speaking country in which you are in. Whether you are in Canada, the United States, England, Australia, or any of the many other countries in which English is the primary language, you will find the language changes. Not only are there distinctions in vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation, but there are also many cultural differences which affect how we use the language.

You will notice that there are many differences in spelling of words in American English and British English. For example, the word color is American English and colour is British English. Also the word check is American spelling and cheque is British spelling.

In Canada, we typically use American spelling, however British spelling is also considered to be grammatically acceptable. Depending on the situation, you can set your spell check feature to American or British spelling. It is best to pick one spelling format and to use that, rather than switch back and forth between British and American spelling.

If you would like more information on CANADIAN, EH?, please email Doctor English with your questions at drenglish@vec.ca.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home