.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Doctor English
Your ESL and English language learning specialist. Ask Dr. English whatever you like about the English language.

Thursday, March 02, 2006


One of the challenges of learning English is that the language changes depending on the English-speaking country in which you are in. Whether you are in Canada, the United States, England, Australia, or any of the many other countries in which English is the primary language, you will find the language changes. Not only are there distinctions in vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation, but there are also many cultural differences which affect how we use the language.

Although “Canadian” English and “American” English are often considered to be the same, there are some differences in vocabulary between the two countries. These words, or “Canadian-isms” are one way to distinguish American and Canadian language. Here are some more “Canadian-isms”.

In Canada, we say “pop”, not “soda”. We also use the term “highway”, not “freeway”. In addition, we eat “chocolate bars”, instead of “candy bars”. Finally, in Canada, the last letter of the alphabet is pronounced “zed”, not “zee”.

If you would like more information on CANADIAN, EH?, please email Doctor English with your questions at drenglish@vec.ca


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home