.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Doctor English
Your ESL and English language learning specialist. Ask Dr. English whatever you like about the English language.

Thursday, May 26, 2005


One of the challenges of learning English is that the language changes depending on the English-speaking country in which you are in. Whether you are in Canada, the United States, England, Australia, or any of the many other countries in which English is the primary language, you will find the language changes. Not only are there distinctions in vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation, but there are also many cultural differences which affect how we use the language.

In Canada, it is very common to address people by their first names or their nicknames. Nicknames are often just a shorten version of a person’s full name. For example, the name David, is often shortened to Dave. Or Michael to Mike. Other names have many nickname options such as Christina, which could be shortened to Chris, Chrissy, Christy or Tina. Be careful though, NOT to use a nickname for a person, unless they introduce themselves that way. Also, be aware that there are many names which are unisex, meaning that they can be used for both males and females. Examples of these include Tony, Alex, or Chris.

If you would like more information on CANADIAN, EH?, please email Doctor English with your questions at drenglish@vec.ca.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home